Thursday 6 September 2012

So I’ve Been Busy



Alright, so I am sorry that I have not posted in a while, I have been rather busy as of late, so here is my update.

Over the past month I have been busy working on a number of projects including a writing resource for Mzuzu University and my students, which will help them structure various assignments and projects.  At first this was going to be a simple “how to” resource for writing a research proposal and a research paper.  However, interest in my little side project has grown and it has become a 64 page writing resource that provides guidelines on a number of other projects including funding proposals, argumentative essays, article and book reviews, as well as to cite and reference properly – direction that has been lacking at Mzuzu for some time.  This project started out as a small activity to assist the students in the research course that I am teaching, and has now grown into a project from which I have received requests from a couple of departments for a copy when it is complete.  Therefore, I have taken advantage of some of my past instructors at Brock and Ryerson to provide insight and commentary on how it may be improved.  Sufficed to say, this small project has become a central focus of some of my efforts at the University.

Also regarding my research course, I have been working with members of the library to develop a library orientation seminar (specifically for my students, but that may be used for any department) to show students and members of faculty the different services and resources that are available for research.  Unfortunately I have discovered that many students can find the library, but do not know how to access or use the online resources properly.  However, as many of you know, Mzuzu University has suffered several setbacks in the form of 2 minor strikes (faculty and staff) and one major strike that lasted over two weeks.  As a result of these setbacks, classes were disrupted and this seminar has not yet taken place. 

My central goal throughout this semester has been the completion of my research methods course for my Physical Planning, Surveying, and Estates Management students.  My intent is to develop a course that may be used for any of the social science disciplines, and design it in a way that at some point (when the resources are available) it may be uploaded onto an internet server at the University, to begin online and distance learning.  This goal includes the accomplishment of my other two side projects, and I have given myself roughly one month to complete these tasks. 

The Chair of the Land Management Department has also begun to inquire if Rachel and I would consider staying on with the University until the end of the second semester.  However, we will begin our journey back to Canada on February 28th, 2013, which is half way through the semester – also my birthday.  Rachel has been doing well teaching her policy course, and the Department would like me to supervise fourth year Dissertations.  We are honoured to be asked, but unfortunately it is not likely to happen.
The past couple weeks at the office have been going well as one by one my students have been coming in to discuss their research topics.  Unfortunately they have been monopolizing my time, although it gives me an opportunity to see what they are truly interested in researching.  With some students I have spent 5-10 minutes discussing their research topics, while others have been in my office for nearly an hour.  However, I cannot approve their topic until they have the appropriate amount of information, and until I know that they fully understand what it is they are going to research, the worth and relevance, the aims and objectives, and if they can identify an appropriate problem statement.  I know, this must sound really boring, but it is their education and this is where most of my time has been going.  Secretly, I love this ‘stuff.’

Shortly, Rachel and I will begin a joint research project regarding sustainable development and coffee plantations in Northern Malawi.  We have selected a topic that plays to both of our interests (coffee), and decided to take a two part approach to the project.  I will be writing on the community development aspect of the ‘co-op’ style coffee plantations, where as Rachel will be looking more to the policy side.  We have also chosen a topic that will allow us to do some traveling around Northern Malawi, to see more of the country. 

My amazing level 3 Research Methodology Students

On another exciting front, I delivered my first midterm examination.  Being a student myself not too long ago, I always thought how easy it must be for my professors to give an exam and how easy it must be for them.  I would like to recant my thoughts.  If I am anything to show for it, it is a stressful experience to deliver an exam.  I kept thinking, ‘Was it too hard?’ ‘Was it to long?’ ‘How will I mark it?’  ‘Am I being fair?’ and so much marking.  I believe that I now understand why I have received exam books back with red wine spatter and food crumbs all over the pages (of course I was not drinking or eating during the exam myself).

Oh and we went to Zambia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment